Tuesday 6 March 2018

[Fanciful Files] Playing With Pokemon

I have been playing video games in some capacity since I was a child. We had a computer game when I was very young about exploring a castle (I cannot remember the name of it, but it was so much fun- I played it with my siblings, and mum got us a clock specifically marked to let us know when it was the next person's turn).


My earliest solid memories playing video games are of Pokemon, as I am sure is the case for many people my age. I didn't have my own Game Boy, so I couldn't play often. My friend used to let me play her copy of Pokemon Blue when I slept over. Of course, I couldn't save it, so each time I would start at the beginning, and usually manage to earn my badge from Brock. I always chose Bulbasaur (and to this day, he is my favourite Pokemon). I must have been very enthusiastic about my experiences playing this game because, when I turned 9, mum took me to the second hand shop and bought me my very own Game Boy Colour.

Not just any Game Boy Colour, but the yellow Pikachu one. I was so excited. Then, with my birthday money, I bought Pokemon Red. This was the first video game I ever bought myself. I still have it, and occasionally bring it out for a nostalgia trip on the Game Boy, which is still in perfect working order.


Some of my fondest childhood memories were playing these games, helping my sister with Pokemon Yellow (she was so enthralled by my game that mum bought her a special Game Boy Colour as well, the metallic Pikachu/Pichu one), playing with my imagination with my friend, and the help of some figurines, and watching the show before school each weekday. 


As much as I still enjoy Pokemon now, and appreciate it on a whole new level (playing with my husband and my best friend is enjoyable- though I don't battle them, as I'm too anxious about making mistakes, I just sit with them and play), I'm not sure anything Pokemon related can surpass that feeling I had as a child, training my beloved Bulbasaur at my nan's, in the car, even in bed when I should have been asleep (hey, my mum bought the light attachment, I can't be blamed).

Do you have fond memories of playing Pokemon as a child? Do you still play now?

No comments:

Post a Comment